17. 8. 2021
The Royal Premonstratensian Canon at Strahov is one of the oldest monasteries of the Premonstratensian Order in the world. It is a large impressive building situated at the back of Petrin Hill and Prague Castle. Since its foundation in 1143 it has withstood fires, wars, despotism and the communist regime. Strahov Monastery most important feature the library hall (today's Theological Hall) is completed in 1679. In the 18th century, work continues on rebuilding the monastery in the Baroque style: a new summer refectory is opened, the brewery is rebuilt, and the farmland around the monastery is reworked. In 1742 the whole complex was hardly damaged by bombardment when the French laid siege to Prague. After this episode, the original medieval structures are rebuilt in the Baroque spirit. The last great piece of building work in the abbey complex is the construction of a new library hall (today's Philosophical Hall). The monasterial buildings then essentially remained as they were until the 1950s, when the o9cial activity of monasteries was halted by the Communist regime and in-depth archaeological research of the whole complex started. During this time, at least part of the Romanesque structure of the monastery was renewed in a very careful way. After 1989, when the abbey was returned to the Premonstratensians, costly reconstruction of the entire complex began and is still going on to this day.